<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, August 13, 2005

Title: Worldcon - Interaction 2005
Detail: 4th-8th August 2005, SECC/Moat House, Glasgow
Part:3. Intro.



While I am a science fiction fan, and it is something I have been reading for years, I have to say that I don't really follow the events and conventions that go with fandom. Which would explain why it was so late in the day when I found out that there was an annual science fiction convention and that this year it was located locally to me in Glasgow; it was even later, like at the event itself, that I discovered that the same event had in fact been in Glasgow 10 years earlier as well.

At the time I found out about Interaction, the 63rd World Science Fiction Convention and 2005 Eurocon, I was impressed by the number of authors that I like who were all going to be in the one place. However at that point I was between jobs, and funds were a little short for something on this scale. As it got closer I started a new job, and money started coming back in again. The amount of money involved was still a factor, as was the fact that if I was going I was going without knowing anyone there (even if it was local), and the balance of things I was interested also seemed to be outweighed by things I wasn't interested in. To some degree I was talking myself out of it.

Which didn't stop me from joining in the discussion group on Interaction, and chipping in my tuppence whenever a question came up that I could answer. Which of course keeps the whole thing in my sights, until the actual event comes round. Which is how it came to be that I started to make the decision that perhaps I was going to go a couple of days before hand. Coming round the night before, to a definite decision that in fact I was going to go after all. But in doing so, I was going to have to fit it in around my work hours. Which no doubt means I missed a lot, but I did my best to pack as much as I could into the time.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter