<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, August 24, 2003

Headphone Science – We Remain Faded
-I have to say that this CD, “we remain faded” by headphone science, took me by surprise. Often the first time I listen to a release there will be a certain amount of randomness involved, unless it is an artist I am reasonably familiar with. headphone science are a new name to me, and while I would have read the record label blurb, by the time I listen to the disc it is a random choice off a pile of new CDs.
-the disc has 7 tracks and starts with the title track “we remain faded”, which while it is a reasonable enough piece it doesn’t really say anything about the album that follows. It is a piece of melodic idm, with those clock work beats. The sound is ok, though not really striking as a first impression.
-however from that first impression the album is pretty much up hill from there. Delving into the territory of modern hip-hop/electronica hybridisation. Tracks like “larcenous” and “air bubble” are pretty striking, a mix of cut up vocal snatches and beats with melody. this current trend is one that leaves me with mixed feelings – for example pre-fuse 73 haven’t done much for me so far, while machine drum made more of an impression. With that in mind, my reaction to these tracks is similar to that with my first listen of machine drum. Perhaps even more so. By the end of a first listen I am very much enjoying this album. Which manages to get some nice, strong pieces in there, and includes a degree of variation. One piece, I’ll need to check which, includes a certain level of trumpet styled sound mixed with what takes me a moment to recognise as dialogue samples from Ghostworld.
-it is my intention to flesh this quick response out when it actually is ready to go online. But for now, headphone science have this album available through no type, and it comes recommended to fans of the genre described.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter